- Describe your age.
Sliding down hill towards 40!
- Where were you five years ago?
In the resturant at the end of the universe having a nice cold beer.
- Where do you see yourself five years from now?
Doing something that I enjoy!
- What's a good night's entertainment for you and your friends?
Having a nice dinner and then catching a movie or a band.
- What got you into DVD and how long ago?
A friend got a Japanese model Sony 7700 and some region 1 discs. It blew me away! This was three or so years ago.
- What do you love about DVD?
The ability to display the movie in the same aspect ratio as the original theatrical version. The addition of extras such as a directors commentary. Multi-channel audio. The clarity!
- Given the advances in DVD over the past few years, does the format still surprise you and why?
When you see a disc like say, Gladiator, the detail revealed by a good transfer like this still amazes me.
- What title in your collection do you use to introduce friends and family to DVD and why?
It depends on who it is. For action freaks it would be the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan, T2 or Gladiator. For someone interested in film it would be Snow Falling On Cedars, Lawrence Of Arabia or the region 1 version of Dances With Wolves.
- Outside of DVD, what keeps you entertained?
Photography, motorcycling and friends.
- Have you ever met someone famous before and/or wish to meet someone famous?
I'd like to meet the Dalai Lama. I'd like to meet a top notch cinematographer like Dean Semler or John Toll. I'd like to meet some of the guys that build the NASA space probes like Voyager or Cassini. What a cool job.
- What is your current method of transport and what would you like to upgrade to?
Car or Motorcycle, depends on the weather. Upgrade? Well, how about a transporter?
- What is your favorite recipe/meal/take-away?
A nice curry. Red or Green, Thai or Indian, it doesn't matter.
- What is the only joke you seem to remember when people around you are telling jokes?
I can never remember jokes.
- Can you juggle? Can you juggle knives? Can you still juggle?
Nope! Does juggling your cheque book count?
- What are the most memorable nicknames you've had in your lifetime?
Nothing particularly interesting.
- What was the first video game you fell in love with, on what machine? What is your favourite now?
The original Space Invaders! At the moment I have two favourites: Soldier of Fortune and Grand Prix Legends.
- What are your favourites? (Music, movies, books, anything!)
Movies: Hmm how much space can I use here? Too many to mention.
Music: I like heaps of stuff. I Mainly listen to Alternative stuff in the car. At home it varies. Could be Jazz, Classical, Current or the Blues.
Books: Non-fiction e.g History, Biographical, Technical.
- What DON'T you like about DVD?
Don't like something about DVD? Is that possible?
|Michael's recent reviews:
New York Stories
"New York Stories is magnificant... ly adequate."
Babylon 5 - Season 3
"Ahhhh, champagne sci-fi! This box set is the DVD equivalent of something James Bond would be drinking!"
Babylon 5 - Season 2
"Woohoo! Babylon 5, Season 2 on DVD! Now this is quality sci-fi..."
Ray Charles - In Concert
"Ladies and gentlemen! Sit back and enjoy a concert performance by the legendary Mr. Ray Charles!"
"Three significant events cause ripples of change to wash through the lives of six Los Angeles residents in what is a brilliant film from master writer/director Lawrence Kasdan."
Anywhere But Here
"...explores the complicated relationship between a mother and teenage daughter in what is a well-written and nicely paced drama"
The Best of Morecambe & Wise
"The Best of Morecambe and Wise certainly features some eye wateringly funny moments."
The Best of Dad's Army
"This DVD contains five great examples of why Dad's Army is, for me, one of the great English comedy series. It wonderfully exaggerates the attitudes and
mannerisms of the English of the time."
"A well written thriller presented on a solid quality DVD. A movie fans of this genre will enjoy..."
Michael McDonald - A Gathering of Friends
"If you like blue eyed soul then this DVD is for you. The audio transfer is excellent. The video transfer? Well, there is one..."
List all Michael's reviews